Let me present you a new tutorial published on Envato Tuts+: “How to Draw a Bird Step by Step”.
There I’m showing the process of creating a nature-inspired composition, first with a graphite pencil and then – using a variety of colored pencils.
Blue birds are so charming, aren’t they? ❤ Especially when they’re singing! 😀
Last week I had great fun creating this trout drawing, using the Staedtler Aquarelle pencils. 🙂 Although my priority is ink technique, sometimes I take a break or experiment with other mediums.
Here I have a full video process from a light pencil underdrawing to the final touches.
A slideshow of the main steps (please watch the video to get a better idea):
The description of the process:
- I start with a pencil underdrawing. The lines should be barely visible, or the graphite may mix with the aquarelle pencils’ strokes and the colors will be messy.
- I apply several shades of beige and brown colors, and also add a little bit of pink to accent the natural coloring of the trout.
- I wash the existing color strokes with a wet brush.
- I let the drawing dry up a bit, and add the details of the fish. Be sure to leave the highlights, especially in the fish’s eye! 🙂
- Gradually, I increase the contrast and richness of my drawing, refining all the significant features more and more.
- I add the dark spots to the trout’s body. You may notice that I use both black and dark brown pencils – this helps to achieve a smoother, varied look of the coloring.
I hope you like the process and the result! 🙂 Thanks for watching!
My new tutorial about the colored pencils technique is published on Envato Tuts+. Welcome! 🙂
I was creating this floral artwork:
I’m honored and happy 😀
In this tutorial, you can learn more about drawing with colored pencils, applying strokes and constructing the botanical shapes.
With the greatest pleasure, I introduce you a new category of posts on my blog – colored pencils tutorials! 🙂 And for today, I have a drawing process for this yummy illustration: