In this post, I’ll show you the step-by-step process of working on a complex texture with ink liners. We’ll create a beautiful drawing of a toad. 🙂
Black ink is an all-sufficient medium; it is elegant and laconic by itself. It seems, there is no need for anything else, right?
But sometimes you just want color. Does this mean that you should put aside ink and pens, and start a new art with paints?
The answer is no. You can use inks and ink pens of different colors or add bright strokes to your originally black and white drawing. It is fun, and today I’ll show you a way how to do it!
We’ll be creating a beautiful rose artwork. 🙂
My tutorial on the ink drawing technique published on Envato Tuts+ 🙂
There you can find out how to draw a seahorse from scratch, and follow my process of work with black and grey ink liners.For this artwork, I used Copic pens of black and cool grey colors.
A combination of black and grey colors is an amazing graphic tip – the drawings created in this technique have smooth, gentle transitions of value – and you can add as many details as you wish. Worth trying! 😉
Last week I had great fun creating this trout drawing, using the Staedtler Aquarelle pencils. 🙂 Although my priority is ink technique, sometimes I take a break or experiment with other mediums.
Here I have a full video process from a light pencil underdrawing to the final touches.
A slideshow of the main steps (please watch the video to get a better idea):
The description of the process:
- I start with a pencil underdrawing. The lines should be barely visible, or the graphite may mix with the aquarelle pencils’ strokes and the colors will be messy.
- I apply several shades of beige and brown colors, and also add a little bit of pink to accent the natural coloring of the trout.
- I wash the existing color strokes with a wet brush.
- I let the drawing dry up a bit, and add the details of the fish. Be sure to leave the highlights, especially in the fish’s eye! 🙂
- Gradually, I increase the contrast and richness of my drawing, refining all the significant features more and more.
- I add the dark spots to the trout’s body. You may notice that I use both black and dark brown pencils – this helps to achieve a smoother, varied look of the coloring.
I hope you like the process and the result! 🙂 Thanks for watching!
My new tutorial “How to Draw a Dalmatian Dog” is published at the Envato Tuts+ site. If you are interested in the ink technique and drawing cute animals, check this out! 😀
A work-in-progress video with educational elements 🙂 You can watch me drawing, and the subtitles will tell you what exactly is going on.
By the way, this is my first video with subtitles. I hope there will be much more video tutorials, and soon – with the voice.
In this video:
- Creating an illusion of space;
- Drawing the tree bark texture;
- The first steps of drawing the owl;
- Principles of combining hatching, cross-hatching, and stippling.
I use ink liners number 0.05, 0.1, 0.3 and 0.5.
Thank you for watching! 🙂 Please let me know if you have specific questions about the ink drawing technique – I’d be happy to create something useful for you and share the experience 🙂
My new tutorial about the colored pencils technique is published on Envato Tuts+. Welcome! 🙂
I was creating this floral artwork:
I’m honored and happy 😀
In this tutorial, you can learn more about drawing with colored pencils, applying strokes and constructing the botanical shapes.
With the greatest pleasure, I present you my new tutorial on the ink drawing technique, published at Envato Tuts+ 🙂 I hope you’ll find it useful! 😀 Welcome!
How to Draw a Lizard With Ink LinersTopics covered:
- textures of scales, wood, and stones;
- drawing a lizard;
- hatching, cross-hatching, and dotwork made with ink liners in a complex artwork.