What makes a skilled artist? I think, there are several important ingredients:
- love for drawing and painting,
- an ability to see joy even in difficult challenges,
- a firm determination to practice every day plus discipline,
- a vision of the scope of work or improvement,
- an ability to divide something complex into simple steps,
- time and patience.
Is talent important? To be honest, I believe that its role is too exaggerated. People often do have a bent for various kinds of activities or pursuits, but this bent is nothing without the elements I listed above.
As a teacher, I always do my best to transform any baffling complexity into a sequence of easy-to-follow, digestible steps. Any drawing or painting demonstration should inspire and provoke to action!
Examples of drawing lessons
You can find a collection of step-by-step drawing tutorials on Envato Tuts+ Design & Illustration.
The main themes are pencil and ink techniques, creating textures, drawing animals and nature.
My ink workshop was featured in the practical art magazine Paint & Draw. Excerpt from the article:
I love sharing my knowledge and skills! If you feel like I’m a good fit for your website, studio, or magazine, please let me know.